Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Blog Reflection and Future Plans


       When debating which form of technology to use to create my online portfolio for this class, I decided to choose something I have never done before; a blog.  In the past I have created and managed a website and a wiki.  By choosing to create a blog I could gain new experience and insight to an unfamiliar form of technology.  The most challenging part of creating the blog was figuring the ins and outs of adding to it.  After reviewing a few classmates’ blogs, I discovered you could create tabs, similar to the ones found on websites.  After asking how to create a tab, I spent time reorganizing my blog to a more “user friendly” format.  Doing this was easy; it just takes the knowledge and a little practice. 

        I liked gaining the experience of creating a blog; it gave me the idea to have my STEM students create blogs. Students could organize a tab for each STEM investigation.  The benefit of doing this would be that they are getting an additional technology aspect of STEM and they are creating something they can keep.  My future students will be making blogs; this will be their online STEM journals.  Students will follow the engineering design process, and opposed to presenting everything in their STEM journals, they can make a virtual journal.  In the online STEM journal I envision students planning, recording data, posting videos, and sharing successes and/or failures online, as well as, doing their end of unit reflections.  I look forward to incorporating blogs into my STEM curriculum. 

No comments:

Post a Comment